Adding Casein to your current fitness plan can help you achieve your ideal weight training goals. Casein Protein Powder can be mixed with milk, water or added to a smoothie. When combined with diet and exercise, the best Casein protein will boost production of lean muscles and give you a fit, healthy appearance.
We have done the work for you by outlining the Top 5 rated Casein Protein Powders. Below the chart follows details on each product that will help you with your decision:
5 Of The Best Casein Protein Powders In The UK
- It’s delicious
- Mixes well with water or milk
- You can freeze it to make ice cream
- If you blend it longer, you can also make pudding
- It comes in a generous size
- Will last up to a year if stored in a cool, dry place
- More expensive than the other Casein Protein products
- Must use an electric blender to fully mix it
- Might be overly sweet tasting for some
- Cookies and Cream flavour not the best
- Health information on the label
- Low in fat and carbohydrates
- Reasonably priced
- Long-lasting effect
- Not gluten free
- Container not sturdy and does not ship well
- Need an electric blender to mix thoroughly
- Chocolate flavour has an after taste
- Contains both Casein and Whey – no need to choose
- Effect felt immediately and is long-lasting
- Extremely high level of protein (31 grammes)
- Excellent taste
- Has an unpleasant smell
- Only three flavour choices
- Must consume immediately to avoid extreme thick consistency
- Container is not filled up all the way
- Comes in more flavors than all other Casein Protein powders
- Tastes well if mixed with milk
- Very slow release, kept hunger at bay
- Difficult to mix
- Chalky taste if mixed with water
- Bag container splits easily
- Chocolate flavour has after taste
- Excellent appetite suppressor
- Don’t experience a bloated feeling
- Narrow container makes it easy to store
- Good value for the money
- Quick shipping
- Banana flavour tastes fake
- Extremely thick consistency
- Very dusty and goes everywhere when you open it
- Scoop is very small
What is Casein
The short answer is that Casein is an amino acid and is part of milk. Casein is the part of milk that makes it white. It curdles in the stomach during digestion, making a sort of gel and it is used to make people feel full, for longer periods of time. Here are some benefits why a Casein supplement is a good choice:
- Casein is known as the bedtime protein. Once taken, experts agree that dieters will feel satisfied and full through the night. They will not wake up hungry, and therefore will eat less in the morning.
- Most Casein protein powders have been sweetened and will satisfy cravings for those trying to lose weight.
- Casein has a job to do while you are sleeping. It repairs and protects muscle mass in the body.
- There is another popular protein called “Whey”, which acts differently on the body and should not be confused. Whey is a fast-acting protein, which also stops working quicker than Casein. You should take Whey protein before a workout or training session.
- Many athletes use a combination of Casein and Whey to benefit short and long term.
Below is a quick You Tube video which explains Casein and includes information on how it differs from Whey, and how the body uses it. You will want to have an informed decision before making a purchase.
Repairing Muscles – The Case for Casein
Nutrition is a huge part of human general health and well-being. According to a recent study, proteins play an active role in the production of muscle and lean bodies. Although there are different types of proteins, Casein proteins are a “slow-digesting” protein, as compared to the “fast-digesting” Whey protein.
This slow process allows the body to enjoy a better, steadier flow of protein, as well as a long-lasting result as compared to its Whey counterpart. Most research suggests that Casein proteins at bedtime will aid in muscle repair while an individual sleeps.
There have been many studies which compare Casein to Whey, outlining how both of these proteins work and the benefits of taking each one. Although the You Tube video above is a good, initial overview, you need to understand the science behind using Casein as a supplement.
If your ultimate goal is to lose weight, Casein is a better choice because while it repairs, it also keeps you full and less likely to stray from your diet. Whey is a better choice for those trying to get an energy burst before working out and also have the desire to gain weight and muscle.
Protein – A Requirement for Good Health?
Although all proteins are not alike, in part they are all responsible for preventing diseases, such as Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, Osteoporosis and even Obesity. An article from Harvard’s nutrition experts outline these benefits, suggesting that everyone should include more protein in their diet.
Harvard Health also provides guides to raise awareness of how much protein people should ingest daily, and some good sources of protein. Casein protein is a supplement that can be an addition to these requirements, for the purpose of creating more, stronger and leaner muscles. Many athletes and professional trainers recommend the use of Casein for these purposes.
Is There Such A Thing as Too Much Protein?
As humans, we all tend to go overboard when starting a new diet or workout routine. Everyone wants lightning fast results, even though we all know that there is no such thing when it comes to taking care of ourselves. New regimens need to become a way of life for them to work properly and get results and successes.
Most nutritionists would agree that too much of anything can be considered a bad thing, even protein. Jonathan Thompson, a nutritionist, clearly outlines this in an article written about side effects of too much protein in your diet. Altering your life for health requires various lifestyle changes that cannot possibly work overnight. Too much of anything is not a good thing when considering your new health plan.
When to Consume Protein – Post or Pre Workout?
Another consideration regarding proteins for health is the time of day you take them. Before a workout, Whey proteins are ingested to provide a sudden surge, necessary for a good exercise session. They will last throughout a typical workout, but that effect will wear off shortly afterwards.
Many athletes head straight to the Smoothie Bar at their gym or will fill up on a high protein diet to enhance the workout that they just finished. Since Casein proteins work best for bedtime use, they are a brilliant addition to any workout program, even if you are using a whey product as well. Weekly exercise routines gain enhancement by using Pre or Post consumption of all types of proteins.
Age, Gender and Protein
Protein has added benefits for adults and is to better Sleep Quality and losing weight. Recommendations for amounts of protein in a diet can also be different because of gender. Female athletes are in a category of their own when it comes to Performance Measurement. Elderly women may also benefit from consuming higher amounts of protein.
According to the National Institutes of Health, an article written about protein consumption suggests that high-protein diets in middle age, have been associated with a higher mortality rate. However, in adults over 65, higher protein has been linked to lower mortality rates. The article goes on to explain however that other factors like smoking, weight and chronic conditions also play a part in this study.
Popular now on the Internet, is Protein Calculators which many people of varying genders, ages and weights of people use. Their purpose is to determine the proper amounts of protein recommended for daily use. For a more precise value, your doctor or dietition can make a recommendation.
The Choices Can Be Overwhelming
When seeking information on proteins for health, we face many choices. It becomes difficult to understand where to spend your money, and which proteins will result in the best results. Too many choices can add some frustration because of the overwhelming amount of information on the subject. If you have done some research and think that Casein Protein Powder may be a nice addition to your healthy lifestyle, please refer to the list above.
Conclusion: Which Casein protein do you Recommend I Buy?
The clear winner of our Top 5 is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein Powder because of its health benefits, value for the money, its most delicious taste and the extra ways it can be made for consumption (pudding, ice cream.)
This product delivers on its promise to aid muscle repair and regrowth during sleep. It is a slow drip process so that users feel fuller longer and may also help people with their weight control by taking it regularly. It can be used in conjunction with any other protein, whether they are food proteins or other powders.
If you have detailed questions about your health and the use of Casein proteins, you should see your family physician. It is also recommended if you are new to workouts and dieting, to speak to a personal trainer. Most have experience and are certified to help you understand how these proteins can fit into your workout or daily routine.
Optimum comes in a generous plastic jug which can be kept for up to a year, in a cool, dry place.
As with all Casein proteins, its effect will not be felt immediately, as in a burst of energy, but instead, those effects will be felt over time, thereby making it the perfect solution to make you feel full and satisfied. Also, the sweet taste of flavours, will satisfy any sweet tooth and cause your cravings to be at bay. Combined with a healthy diet, including high proteins in food sources and exercise, users of Optimum will be very pleased with the results.